Monday, June 3, 2013

Trifecta: Close Encounters (6)

Trifecta: Week Eighty



Use the word FREAK with the following meaning from among its various meanings: one that is markedly unusual or abnormal. Write between 33 and 333 words.





While having the close encounter with her inner wisdom was amazing, Libby also felt like a freak. Who could she tell about her experience without feeling and being deemed crazy? And what did it mean now that she had connected to this part of herself? She didn’t want to call Elise again. They hadn’t been friends. Elise had been her intuition group facilitator. It felt as if she would be taking advantage of her continuing to ask questions.

Libby hadn’t really made any new friends since relocating to Boston, although she found several friendly people at work. Maybe it was time to initiate a test drive for a new out-of-office friend. The clouds of thoughts swirled through her head just as she arrived at her office building. Walking inside balancing her briefcase with her Starbucks coffee, she squeezed into the elevator dutifully looking up at the numbers avoiding all eye contact as elevator protocol requires.

“Pie,” she heard in her mind as she stepped out of the elevator. She shook her head as if flipping her hair back thinking inside, “Not now…I have to focus.” Libby felt annoyed and wondered if she could close the door she had opened. Besides, what the heck was that supposed to mean?

Settling into her office, Libby saw Becca pass by waving, her first choice for new best friend. Quickly Libby motioned for Becca to come into her office. They were peers and often collaborated on assignments. They both laughed at the same things. She had a quiet unpretentious way about her that put Libby at ease.

Becca walked in questioningly and Libby offered her a seat. “I’ve been in Boston nearly six months and still don’t know this city. I take the train to and from Melrose and hide out there. Any chance you’d like to get together and do something this weekend?”

Sure, said Becca unhesitatingly. I'd love to see that movie, Life of Pi. What about you?

Words: 326


 (The entire story of Libby to date can be found here.)






 

17 comments:

  1. A connection made! I liked the natural flow to this piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tara! Not sure how this story feels to those who haven't encountered this kind of intuition/wisdom. Glad to have the feedback!

      Delete
  2. I have sometimes wished that I had this gift. My daughter does. When she was young and on the road, I would be thinking, 'I wish she would call.' And...soon she would. This is before cell phones, of course. So I like this story and don't think it's too freaky!.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nonnie! I do think it is cool. I know my grandmother had "a gift".

      Delete
  3. Making new friends as an adult is difficult. Having a gift like this would certainly help! Thanks so much for linking up with this piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your encouraging comments and great prompts!

      Delete
  4. This just proves you should never deny pie :D I hope she makes some good friends.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The picture in the beginning was a bit distracting (yum!)

    I love how she thought of "pie" and Becca suggested the movie, Life of Pi.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the idea of pie, of new beginnings and new best friends! This story is such a winner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Valerie! I think I took Libby as far as I can go. Will have to come up with something new or continue scary Mind Shadows. So glad you enjoyed the journey to inner wisdom!

      Delete
  7. I love the way you connected this.

    Pie is always a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think pie always facilitates friendship. :) I love the reference to "elevator protocol!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol...the unwritten laws we have... Pi and pie :))

      Delete
  9. Neat write - Sometimes having this intuition is fun. Sometimes it's scary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the beginning, it's definitely jarring. The big question: Who does s/he know? Most inner wisdom parts will say they know everything because they do. I used to think mine read movie scripts. lol. However they know, they know. Thanks for reading and for the nice comment, Kelly!

      Delete