Monday, June 3, 2013

MWM: First Encounter with Mary

Mornings With Mary



Photo Source


chapel on campus
alone at night with Mary
tears from her beauty


I was raised in a Jewish home but chose not to formally embrace any religion once leaving home, although I had always felt drawn to images of Mary. In my late 40s, I earned my graduate degree from Seton Hall, mostly online, but spent two weeks on campus for a course. I stayed next to the tiny chapel longing to go inside but afraid not knowing what would be expected of me. I didn't know if it was open at night. One evening I was brave enough to walk across to the chapel. The door opened. It was candlelit and empty. A statue of Mary, so beautiful, was very close to the front and I was able to sit in front of her and just feel that sacred moment. Was so happy to find an image of her online to share.



10 comments:

  1. dear maggie grace,
    so lovely to have you share your unexpected encounter with mary. i love that she encompasses compassion, acceptance, comfort, indescribable beauty to any and all. ultimate mother love through and through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for visiting and reading, rebecca. she is indeed a presence indescribable and so beautiful...sacred.

      Delete
  2. a beautiful share thank you! I was raised Protestant but also chose to explore the wide world of mysterious revelations! Mary has always spoken to be me on such a deep level - nothing I could ever explain to anyone - the divine is vast and not limited to any religion. blessings for the week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, to everything you said. it's a deep level that can't be explained. thank you for visiting.

      Delete
  3. Oh Maggie, such a wonderful story!
    Thank-you for sharing that piece of you.
    I love the haiku too ♥♥
    I embrace all religions too...they all stem from Love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. thank you, sam. i realized after the fact that i wrote a (can't remember the name)...haibun? but should have put haiku at end for that form. anyway, an accidental japanese something for the love of Mary.

      Delete
  5. Ah, she is marvelous and your encounter with her confirms my belief that Mary appears to us regardless of our culture and spiritual beliefs. I'm sure this story from college continuously brings you peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was in Avignon France last year where there is an amazing gold statue of her high over the city. I love to see her.

      Delete