Friday, August 2, 2013

Toads: Rolling Poe

Imaginary Garden With Real Toads
Poem Within A Poem



every time i hear the rapping
every time i hear the tapping
i think a raven's at my door
poe lies buried 'neath the ground
and lenore...never will be found
probably her heart is beating
within the wall or something more
pendulums are ever swinging
compendiums are best for reading
all the dark and dreary lore
annabel lee is lost at sea
buried in sepulchre deep
and from within my bedroom chamber
i can hear the faintest scream
still I hear it...STILL i hear it
tis the cat and nothing more
my love for poe is truly 
still is truly ever more


I love Poe's writing and used to have a collection of his tales and poetry. The prompt inspired me to throw in a few of my favorites: The Raven, Annabel Lee, The Telltale Heart, Pit and the Pendulum.

14 comments:

  1. This is a wonderful collection! I love the line, "buried in sepulchre deep"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That line in Anabel Lee "in a sepulchre neath the sea" or something like that was always so chilling to me. Had to use that word. Thank you, Hannah!

      Delete
  2. You spoke right to my Poe heart! He is my all time favorite! Love how you weaved his works through this with your own creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great use of rhyme and cadence in this poem, Maggie, and your love for Poe seems very evident.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also love Poe, and you've managed to reprise his 'greatest hits' without in any way lessening them, indeed, making them breathe a bit of new life. Enjoyed it much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You channeled Poe - perfectly. I thoroughly enjoyed your poetry this morning, great way to begin my day - I say!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautifully done. One of my best friends has been a Poe fan for as long as I've known her (some 50+ years) and she would love this. Unfortunately, she lost her eyesight last year, but I just have to phone and read this to her. My voice is quite unsuited to readings of Poe, but she'll understand.
    K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so honored and how lucky your friend is that you thought of her and will call her. I wish I were a better friend. From the time I have the thought until I reach for the phone, I don't know who I was going to call :( Maybe will get better. Starting neurofeedback.

      Delete
  7. Me again. My friend was delighted with your poem, and remarked about it referring to several of Poe's works. She reminded me of her habit of reading Poe to her boys and their friends when they were young but not too young.
    K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely of you to let me know. Thank you, Kay ♥

      Delete
  8. This is great - I almost did something like this but went another way. Love hte way you incorporated dsome of oes poetic devices in here as well/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love how you made this personal.

    ReplyDelete
  10. All Poe's most famous references all together in a personal poem! Thanks for being part of my challenge, Maggie. :-)

    ReplyDelete