Saturday, April 20, 2013

The Ugly Truth

Saturday Centus - Week 156


"DEAR JOHN": Use these two words to start a letter. Use 100 ADDITIONAL words to say what you want to say to 'Dear John' in your letter.


Dear John,

News of your death couldn’t have reached me fast enough. Since remembering how you abused me as a child, all the conscious feelings of fear I had for you became clear. You cast me out of the family for revealing your ugly truth, labeling me as the liar. Yet no innocent father…a father who loved his daughter…would have responded in that manner. 

The news may have been late in reaching me, but now I can breathe knowing you are no longer roaming this earth capable of harming another. I long ago disavowed you as my father. Hell surely awaits you.

12 comments:

  1. A purging letter to release her of her demons. Very well written. You answered the challenge with excellence. I wish such fate on no child. My father was abusive physically and verbally but not sexually. I know of many females who have had to endure such challenges though and it is heart wrenching. I love this challenge. Where can I enter or am I too late?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judy, if you click on the link under the title Ugly Truth, it will take you to the challenge. This is my first time entering. I just found it today. And thank you for your comments!

      Delete
  2. Strong, bold. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very clear, strong. I feel the quaking of emotion erupting in bursts underneath.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gail. Almost didn't enter the challenge because didn't know how to make it different.

      Delete
  4. Wow, a very powerful piece of writing. Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chilling, and I love your style.
    I suspected that my late uncle (my aunt's first husband) molested me when I was very young. He died at 49 after a life of excess and debauchery. I don't hate him for his addictions. Addiction is a very complex issue. I hate him for the way he beat my aunt, and the fact that he molested his daughters and probably me. (I was very young and have no clear memory but have flashbacks.)
    When my mother told me he had died, all I could say was "good!"
    She told me he used to be a nice guy.
    I told her I didn't care, he hadn't been for a long time.
    Peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing. I hope you felt some emotional release in these words. Too many marred from such a young age. Safe hugs if ok.

      Delete