Monday, April 22, 2013

Mind Shadows (2)

Write At The Merge: Week 17


All segments of this story (Mind Shadows) can be found here.


Photo Source



 “They can’t possibly be true, can they?” MacKenzie’s voice cracked trying not to think details of her nightmares and ever increasing flashbacks.

“Whether there is truth to them or not, you are experiencing great emotional distress. I can help you cope with those emotions and help you through whatever is happening.” Georgia paused to see if MacKenzie was able to hear what was being said.

“Can’t I just shove them back inside?” MacKenzie asked plaintively.

“Unfortunately, whatever was protecting you from remembering since childhood is no longer working. Sometimes the mind decides it’s time for you to know. Some believe age has something to do with it. There’s no stopping it. Normally it has a pace to it. Moving slowly is best. Trying to deny or reject the message or messages will only make it worse. I’m here to help you through this.”

MacKenzie slumped back into the comfortable chair letting her head hang back, closing her eyes. She imagined herself on a foggy bridge that led only half way into the fog. She wanted to disperse the fog to see what was hiding in her subconscious. Just get it over with like tearing a band aid off. But she heard Georgia and knew that was not an option.

“Let’s schedule more frequent visits. And try to write down thoughts and feelings you do have that come up after a nightmare or flashback...or if you notice anything else causing a fear reaction like you did with the gun in the television show. Think of them like puzzle pieces. At some point you will begin to see answers.”

MacKenzie nodded and agreed to see Georgia twice a week until she felt in control again. On her way home, she stopped to pick up a special journal for her thoughts…one that was pretty. While wandering through the bookstore to pay for her journal, she happened to pass through books on The Occult. Some covers showed hooded figures and one even showed a cemetery at night. It gave her the chills. She quickened her pace to the register and hurriedly left the store.

Words:  350

16 comments:

  1. You are climbing to a peak and I want to know where it is going. What is this poor girl repressing? The bridge is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Judy. Yes, loved that bridge as the prompt!

      Delete
  2. Hi Maggie ~~ You didn't scare me away but I sure hope I didn't cause you to over react in your change. A lot of people like those details and for certain a part of them at least will have to come out to put all the pieces together. I accept that there is neglect, abuse, crime, and worse and that some or the report of these will have to come out here.

    Yes, thank you for peeking in on my little ditty today. That is why I visited here, a return visit.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Regardless, I did change my writing to stay away from the kind of details I did have. I owe you thanks for making me work more toward fiction and less fictionalized reality. I did join these challenges to stretch my writing skills.

      Delete
  3. sometime the mind decides it's time to know ... yup

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is really intriguing - and what a good way of using the image! LM x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep- the bridge makes a splendid image for exploring the flashbacks and the mysteries of the past. Love how this develops.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Maggie-more please! Pretty please!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Will she remember to write in her new journal the chills caused by the occult books? This is getting better and better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! I was disappointed...but only because the story came to an end:~) I liked your dialogue and your narrative, which made me very curious about the dreams and flashbacks...I thought you were going one way, only to have the ending make me wonder about that.

    This was a great scene and a page turner. When's the next page?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Sara! I did do a next installment:
      http://insidemaggiesbrain.blogspot.com/2013/04/mind-shadows-3.html

      Delete
  9. A little late in catching up with last week's link ups, but I'm here, and I love that the bridge ook her towards her repressed fears. I'm always fascinated by how writers respond to images.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading and commenting, Cameron! Yes, it is interesting to see where each writer's mind takes them!

      Delete