Thursday, May 2, 2013

First Date

Five Sentence Fiction – Festival


What it’s all about: Five Sentence Fiction is about packing a powerful punch in a tiny fist. Each week I will post a one word inspiration, then anyone wishing to participate will write a five sentence story based on the prompt word. The word does not have to appear in your five sentences, just use it for direction.

This week: FESTIVAL




She wanted their first date to be perfect, so she agreed to his suggestion to attend the fair despite her terror of heights and rides that caused her to feel out of control. 

With all the games and other events, she was sure they'd be able to avoid what turned out to be the inevitable.

Summing forth all efforts to appear calm and normal and laughing a faked carefree attitude, she sat on the wobbly seat of the ferris wheel with the single bar of metal between her and what would soon look like an eternity to the ground.

Trying to find security in the warmth of his arm around her snuggling her closer to him, she placed her head on his shoulder hiding her tightly shut eyes.

He gently lifted her chin so their eyes could meet when the ferris wheel stopped briefly with them at the top only to find tears streaming from her face, her lips quivering, and finally the scream that would cause the ride operator to quickly bring them down and release her from that prison.




14 comments:

  1. This reminds me of a few dates I had in my younger days - although I might have been the one screaming. It brought back some memories...

    I hope he realizes the effort it took for her to do that and asks her for second, ground-level date!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are a good man. Handling intense PTSD is an indication of whether someone is willing to pursue a relationship with someone with emotional baggage. Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete

  2. Great job in those 5 short sentences.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! I can so relate. I hate heights. The things we do to impress a guy. So glad I don't have to date anymore. Well told, Maggie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol...if that were me in the story, I'd never get on that ferris wheel! Me too...no dating and a husband who understands my phobias. Thanks for visiting and commenting!

      Delete
  4. This is such a realistic scenario. I cannot get onto a ferris wheel because I am afraid this would have to me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would not have taken a girl up on the Ferris Wheel. I could not have kissed her because I would have been too scared to do that!
    Scott

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scott
      Mine: http://kindredspirit23.wordpress.com/2013/05/02/fsf-five-sentence-fiction-522013/

      Delete
  6. You've struck a good balance between the hope of a first date and the internal struggle of a phobia.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hate high places. Good piece.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Alas, the fear of heights evidently trumps the warmth and security of a comforting arm and warm shoulder... Great little read. Thanks for that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I shared the same fear as your character here except it's with those looping roller coasters. I dread becoming the first one to have ever fallen out of one when it reaches the top of the loop and I'm sitting upside down.
    Well done.
    It's interesting we both wrote something about fear and a festival. I invite you to check it out and leave your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, fear of heights seems to be quite common in this small writing community! Thank you to all who read and commented!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd love to know what went through her date's mind at the top of the wheel - not what he'd bargained for. Her tension and fear really comes across.

    ReplyDelete